Categorized: Microbiological Techniques
This tests for the presence of electron transport system in Pseudomonas species.
- Filter paper
- 1% N,N,N’N’ tetramethyl-p-phenylenediamine
- Pre-wet filter paper with oxidase reagent (N,N,N’,N’-p-phenylenediamine) and allow to dry.
- Pick a bacterial colony with a sterile toothpick.
- Gently scratch the colony onto the filter paper. A blue color is produced by Pseudomonas species.
From Liquid Culture:
- Spot the filter paper with 10 to 20 µl of culture.
- Add 10 µl of freshly made oxidase reagent and look for production of a blue color.
NOTE: If the filter paper is pre-wetted with oxidase reagent, false positive can occur.