Quick Isolation of DNA from Agarose Gels
Categorized: Bacterial Genetics
- Run gel as normal in 1X TBE.
- Visualize band under LONG wave UV.
- Cut band out with razor blade.
- Place excised agarose slice in an Eppendorf tube, which has a hole in its bottom (by inserting a hot needle), and which has a small amount of siliconized glass wool covering the opening.
- Place this tube inside another Eppendorf tube.
- Spin tubes either at 1/2 maximum speed for 15 minutes or, if not possible, full speed for 5 minutes.
- Phenol/chloroform the resulting liquid.
- Repeat with 1/10 volume 3 M NaAc + 2x volume EtOH.